The Carman Clan

navigating life one day at a time

Terrance John’s Birth Story

It is amazing how fast labor really can come on, the doctor wasn’t kidding. Long story ahead!

Monday did not start like any normal day. I was up since 2 am because I got up to use the bathroom for the 3rd time and then couldn’t fall asleep because I was hungry. By 4 I finally was falling back asleep after laying on the couch, only to be elbowed 30 minutes later and awoken. By this time Odyn had started pacing every time I moved and Eysa started crying. I bit the bullet and got up to take them out, feed them and keep them quiet so Ed could enjoy his day off. Later in the morning we headed to my weekly doctors appointment, though I was not too thrilled with this one, seeing as I was 40 weeks 3 days and tired of being pregnant. I was cramping and having low back pain all morning, and though this was normal it was definitely stronger. My appointment was a bust in my eyes, I saw the Nurse Practitioner, she did my check and I was still 3cm and 70% effaced and my BP was up. She didn’t sweep my membranes saying they liked to let things happen naturally. We talked about induction and she put in a request to have the lady call to schedule. When we left I was fighting tears, I really didn’t want an induction, I wanted him to come on his terms, but knew he couldn’t stay in forever. Ed and I decided on Sunday or Monday and hoped he would come sooner.

When we got home I went back to bed for 2 hours, while Ed hit the grocery. Once I was awake at 2, I ate lunch, played with the dogs out back and hung out on the couch a lot. The cramping was still pretty bad and I was feeling yucky. At about 5:30 I decided to take a bath, to ease the cramping. We have the best tub, deep jacuzzi tub, perfect for soaking. When I got out at 6, I was hit with the worst contraction I had to date, I had to sit down on the toilet because I didn’t know what was going on. Once it passed I told Ed about it and decided to sit on the birthing ball, and realized I was now getting them every 5 minutes. Being the thinker he is Ed fed the dogs and decided to jump in the shower. At 6:30 as I was texting with Sheena about my contractions I had the urge to go to the bathroom. Stood up, walked two steps and felt a tiny gush and then a big one, and they kept coming. I doubled over in laughter and tears yelling for Ed that my water broke anne I needed a towel while holding Odyn at bay. Poor Ed rushed to finish his shower, and we attempted to finish packing up. I wasn’t much help, the contractions started strong and fast and my whole lower abdomen hurt constantly. He ran next door to the neighbors about taking care of the dogs and off we went, out the door by 6:55 and arriving at Winnie Palmer Hospital by 7:20. Into triage I went and god bless our nurse for realizing I was laboring fast and strong. The only bad part about triage is being tied to a bed for monitoring. My plan for a natural birth quickly went out the window when my contractions were going fast no more then 2 minutes between and constant stomach pain. I couldn’t have made it without Ed and our nurse. In my tears and fighting they kept reminding I could do it when I said I couldn’t. When we arrived and I was checked I was 5/6cm dilated, 20 minutes later a 7! Our nurse kicked into high gear, a bed had been arranged but no one had come for us yet, and they didn’t want the baby born in triage. Finally we were on our way, now I don’t know how you normally go up but I know its not by gurney through the hospital lobby with the nurses yelling hold the elevator and joking not to push.

When we got to room 2112, at about 8:30, bless the nurses heart because she got Steve the nurse anesthetist fast! I am so glad I got the epidural I felt a world of relief and my BP  started to come down. The next time I was checked I was a 9 and Dr. Tandor (doc on call) was joking about going home. Not long before 10 I was a ten and the room kicked into high gear to prepare. Pushing started at about 10:15 and was harder then I imagined, but once he started coming I was surprised how much I felt. Terrance John Carman entered into docs arms at 10:38pm on 02/20/2012 weighing 8lbs 14oz and 22in long.


Single Post Navigation

One thought on “Terrance John’s Birth Story

  1. I love this! I am so happy for you guys!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: